Electric supply is not of the same type all over the world. There may arise occasions when you may have to convert power from one form to another. It could either be conversion from alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) or vice versa. Sometimes you may have to just convert AC to AC but change the frequency. You will require the services of a power converter to do so. In simple words, a power converter is a device for converting electricity.
There are many types of converters. We shall restrict our discussion to AC converters alone. AC converters can be of two main categories:
• DC to AC: Also known as an Inverter.
• AC to AC: There are five different types of AC to AC converters depending upon their usage. They are as follows:
– Voltage converter
– Voltage regulator
– Variable frequency transformer.
An inverter is a device that converts direct current into alternating current. The inverter is only a converter and not a power generator. You have to provide the power from an external DC source such as batteries.
There are many types of inverters out of which the sine wave inverter is the most common. This is because many electrical products are compatible to work with the sine wave AC power source. The inverter produces a similar type of sine wave to power the electrical product.
There is one more type of inverter very common today. This is the modified inverter.
Advantages of sine wave inverters:
– In comparison with the modified inverter, the pure sine wave inverter has a complex design. It has the capacity to produce current in a way similar to the AC power output at your home. Hence this particular type of inverter is more expensive in comparison with the modified sine wave inverter. This inverter is useful for supporting complicated as well as sensitive electrical equipment.
– In spite of this inverter being expensive, it is worth its cost. As it can produce a similar current to the AC power output, it does not damage your electrical equipment.
Uses of a sine wave inverter:
The pure inverter has a variety of uses at home, office as well as anywhere.
1. You can install a simple inverter at home to power your essential electrical equipment during power breakdowns.
2. The inverters allow the direct current from the batteries to be used as AC whenever you need them.
3. You can also convert the direct current from solar power plants and use it as AC for your appliances.
4. However, you should not use the inverters for running heavy-duty equipment such as grinders, refrigerators, geysers and irons.
The inverter is an appliance you should use in an emergency. You can have an uninterrupted source of electric current supply when you use an inverter.
We have seen one type of AC converter in the form of an inverter to power household electrical appliances.